Krol Ko

"The oxen park"

Date late 12th - early 13th century
King Jayavarman VII
(posthumous name: Maha paramasangata pada)
Cult Buddhist
Clearing H. Marchal from 1922 to 1924

About 2 kilometres beyond Ta Som, just after the 11th kilometre marker stone and 100 metres to the right of the road, stands the little temple of Krol Ko - the access track preceding by a hundred metres the route Trouvé which leads to Neak Pean.

From the east, one enters the second enclosure through a simple opening in the external laterite enclosure wall. The internal court is defined by a 25 by 35 metre wall - again in laterite - which is itself surrounded on three of its sides with a moat lined with steps.

Some frontons have been reconstructed on the ground at either side of a small cruciform terrace. Two of them on the right represent the bodhisattva Lokesvara - to whom the temple seems to have been dedicated - standing amidst some figures in prayer. To the left, of Brahmanic inspiration, is Krishna raising the mount Govardhana to shelter the shepherds and their flocks - with another Lokesvara.

The upper section of the cruciform sandstone gopura has collapsed - it is preceded by a vestibule to the east and has two small wings on either side. Within the internal enclosure stands the sanctuary. It is reasonably sized and clearly in the style of the Bayon, with a general embroidery of decoration and false windows with blinds. A "library" precedes it to the south of the axis. Open to the west and constructed in laterite and sandstone, this has a false door on its eastern side. The rest of the ornamentation is generally basic and without much interest.