Monument 486

Date late, with elements from the end of the 10th century
Cult Brahmanic, then Buddhist
Clearing H. Marchal in 1918

A laterite terrace with lions precedes a platform, used as a Buddhist terrace, surrounded by steles or "sema", at the far end of which one can still see the pedestal that carried the idol. Just behind, raised on a triple plinth of moulded sandstone and mostly ruined, is the principal sanctuary. This is a late construction, dedicated to the Buddha - whom one can see under the Bodhi tree on the eastern fronton - and seems to have taken the place of an original Brahmanic prasat, of which the primary laterite base has been heightened by the addition of two subsequent sandstone tiers.

The colonnettes and lintels are in rose coloured sandstone in the style of Banteay Srei (end of the 10th century). They are well preserved and finely crafted - some have been re-cut. One can recognise, to the east, Shiva on Nandin (the sacred bull) and to the north, Indra on an elephant.(11). The cruciform sanctuary chamber is 2m.00 by 2m.30 at the centre and open to the four axes.

Two other later sanctuaries opening to the east are aligned on the principal tower to either side of it. They are set on the same base-platform and therefore much lower, though only a few parts of crumbling wall remain - particularly of the southern. On the northern tower one can still see, above the false western door sculpted with a standing Buddha with a flaming "ushnisha", the lower courses of a fronton with a sitting Buddha. The false southern door also remains almost intact.

Several frontons have been reconstructed on the surrounding ground. They are adorned with quite unusual motifs, - in particular a stylised floral decoration, an enormous head of Kala, and an ewer with a mouth in the form of a birds beak. Generally the lines are rounded and the various elements badly deteriorated.